Max Shaftal is a partner in the firm’s Intellectual Property Practice Group. Max has over 35+ years of experience in all aspects of acquiring, transferring, protecting and enforcing patents, trademarks, trade dress, copyrights, trade secret and copyright rights. His engineering background and extensive experience in both IP prosecution and litigation enable him to effectively counsel clients. with creative, pragmatic and collaborative approaches.
Max was a member of a litigation team that was awarded and collected a $6,000,000 jury verdict for infringement of a patent for non-drill automotive splash guards.
He strives to build a lasting relationship as a trusted advisor to his clients. He is not afraid to give advice that may not be what the client wants to hear, in order to provide reasonable, practical solutions. He often provides proactive product design and infringement avoidance advice as well as trademark selection and usage advice – as early as possible in the process.
Max explains that “I feel very fortunate to combine, on a daily basis, many different technologies, the ever changing contours of patent law, the nuances of trademark, trade secrets and copyright law with the nature of many types of businesses and their particular markets . . .“
Max also has considerable experience with the due diligence process associated with the IP assets of the business being acquired or sold. Max has also provided many legal opinions including patentability, infringement, validity, freedom to operate, and, clearance opinions.
Examples of the products or systems that Max has worked to protect, defend, license, or litigate include:
- Automotive Aftermarket Products, such as Mud Flaps, Air Fresheners, Emergency Kits, Steering Wheel Covers, Tire Pumps, Multi-tools and Lighting;
- Sales Incentive Program Creation and Management Software;
- Emergency Room Risk Management Software;
- Truck Transmission, Gear and Power Components;
- Fair Use of OEM Brands and Part Numbers for Replacement Products;
- Home Organization Products;
- Flexible Packaging;
- Trash Compactor Monitoring and Control Systems;
- Video Poker Games;
- Disposable Carry Out Food Containers;
- Allegedly Counterfeit Products at Flea Markets;
- LED Lighted Picture Frames;
- Personal Emergency 911 Transmitter Devices;
- Wireless Network Technology;
- Microwave Popcorn Packaging;
- Home Security Products;
- Surgical Instruments;
- Vehicle and Marine Audio Systems;
- Location Based Social Media Systems;
- Semiconductor Based Lasers;
- Truck Bed Covers;
- Commodity Trading Systems;
- Restaurant Name Disputes;
- Miniature Fiber Optic Connector Systems;
- Locking Power Cord Technology;
- Adhesive Labels for Power Cords;
- Audio Headphone Designs;
- Vehicle Light Bars; and,
- Wireless GPS Based Gaming Devices.
Max received his J.D. From DePaul University College of Law in Chicago, Illinois in 1982 and his B.S.C.E from the College of Engineering of the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign in 1978.
>He is rated, AV Preeminent.
He is a former Secretary and Board Member of the Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago (“IPLAC”).
Max also served as an elected School Board Member for Northbrook School Board District No. 27 for two full terms.
Max has also served as a Board Member and Executive Board Member of his house of worship for several years.
Max is admitted to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office. He is also admitted to practice before the following Courts:
U.S. Supreme Court;
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit; and
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
- Intellectual Property
- DePaul University College of Law (J.D., 1982)
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (B.S.C.E., 1978)
- Illinois State Bar (1982)
- U.S. Supreme Court (1984)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (1986)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit (1984)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit (1986)
- U.S. District Court for Northern District of Illinois (1982)
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan (1987)
- Trial bar for the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois