W. John Lagrou
W. John Lagrou is an associate in the firm’s Business and Finance Practice Groups. Within these groups, John counsels clients on a wide array of matters, including entity formation, general contract drafting and negotiation, asset sales, stock and equity sales, mergers and similar transactions, acquisition financing, preparation of private placement offering documents, and broker-dealer and investment adviser compliance issues.
John enjoys working with clients situated in a broad range of industries and businesses and having the opportunity to learn about each of those industries and businesses. The clients that John works with include advertising agencies, original equipment manufacturers, commercial banks, private equity funds, investment advisers, restaurants, distributors, information technology companies, and retail businesses. John feels that this experience and the diversity of the clients he works with has allowed him to effectively advise almost any business regardless of its industry.
John appreciates how PFS has provided him the opportunity to perform high-level substantive work with respect to a variety of issues that businesses face or must deal with in a given transaction, whether it be working on both the financing and M&A portions of an acquisition or doing due diligence while drafting employment agreements, an escrow agreement, and the purchase agreement for an M&A transaction. This has helped John understand the importance of being able to handle and resolve all of the issues that may arise with respect to each separate component of any transaction or other matter.
Representative matters which John has worked on include:
- Counseling clients with respect to investments in private equity funds with capital commitments ranging from hundreds of millions to billions of dollars
- Preparing private placement offering documents for pooled investment vehicles investing in $25 million to $75 million real property redevelopment projects
- Representing a steel processor and parts manufacturer in a $65 million transaction involving multiple entity conversions and the sale of limited liability company interests of the client’s family of companies
- Advising an advertising client in the healthcare industry with respect to a $110 million reorganization and sale to a private equity fun
- Assisting client in obtaining acquisition financing for $50 million purchase of logistics company
- Representing technology and digital services company in $3 million sale to strategic buyer
- Preparing and filing Form ADV for exempt reporting investment adviser with approximately $70 million of assets under management
John lives just outside of the Loop and he loves being able to walk to and from the office every day as opposed to having to commute on the L or the Metra. He enjoys going out and trying new restaurants and bars in Chicago as well as exploring each of its unique neighborhoods. In particular, John has been making an effort to try all of the burgers that make it on any list ranking Chicago’s best burgers. John also spends much of his free time in the fall and winter watching football and basketball and rooting for his alma mater’s teams.
- University of Illinois College of Law at Urbana-Champaign (J.D. 2015, summa cum laude, Order of the Coif)
- University of Michigan at Ann Arbor (B.A. 2011)
- Illinois State Bar (2015)
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association