David J. Schwartz
David J. Schwartz is a partner in the firm’s Business and Finance Practice Groups. As a member of the firm’s Corporate Group, Dave represents businesses in a variety of business and commercial matters, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, business start-ups and financing transactions. In addition, as part of the firm’s Corporate Group, he serves as “outside” general counsel to several start-up and middle market businesses, advising them on a variety of legal and business matters.
As a member of the firm’s Securities Group, Dave represents family offices, hedge fund managers, private equity sponsors and other investment advisers on a variety of matters, including fund formation, the preparation of offering materials and investment management agreements. He also advises the firm’s advisory clients on state and federal laws and regulations applicable to funds and fund managers. In addition, as part of the firm’s Securities Group, he counsels the firm’s business clients in connection with private security offerings.
In regards to his life outside of work, Dave contributes to a number of charitable organizations. Most notably, he serves on the Board of Directors of Beds Plus, an organization that provides shelter, food, professional counseling and job training for homeless individuals and families, and those at risk of homelessness. Dave also serves as a member of the La Grange Plan Commission. He most enjoys spending time with his wife and three children, attending soccer, baseball, basketball and football games, theatrical productions and dance competitions, and simply relaxing by the pool. As time permits, one can also find Dave playing drums with his band at various venues in the western suburbs.
Representative M&A Matters
- Represented a food distributor in the sale of its business to a strategic buyer for a purchase price $35,000,000.
- Represented a consumer product research, tradeshow and education business in its sale to a strategic buyer for a purchase price of more than $22,000,000, including rollover equity.
- Represented a private equity sponsor in its acquisition of an online retail swimsuit business for a purchase price of $5,000,000.
- Represented a private equity sponsor in its acquisition of a California-based manufacturing business for a purchase price of more than $24,000,000, including rollover equity.
- Represented a wholesale produce distribution business in its acquisition of a Florida-based business.
- Represented a metal processing company in its sale to a private equity fund for a purchase price of more than $56,000,000.
- Represented a public company in its acquisition of a company engaged in the business of providing electronic payment solutions and related analytic, development and technical services for a purchase price of more than $85,000,000.
- Represented a healthcare-related educational business in its sale to a private equity fund for $115,000,000, including rollover equity.
- Represented a local manufacturer in connection with its sale to a private equity fund for a purchase price of more than $50,000,000.
- Represented a private equity fund sponsor in the sale of a portfolio company for a purchase price of more than $17,000,000.
- Represented a local provider of freight transportation and warehousing in the sale of its business to a large provider of transportation, freight brokerage and logistics services.
- Represented a regional retailer of carpet and flooring in connection with its sale to a national retailer of carpet and flooring.
- Represented a contract packaging and manufacturer in its acquisitions of the divisions of two separate multi-national consumer goods companies.
- Represented a media company in the sale of one of its web-based divisions to a private equity fund for a purchase price of more than $50,000,000.
- Represented an entrepreneur in his purchase of a manufacturing company and its related real estate.
- Represented a local producer of canned beans and other food products to a national producer of canned bean products for a purchase price of more than $20,000,000.
- Represented a local distributor in the formation of a joint venture with an Israeli manufacturer.
Representative Fund Advisory Matters
- Advised a real estate management company in connection with its formation of a real estate investment trust (REIT) and its private placement of up to $200,000,000 of shares.
- Advised a Switzerland-based investment adviser in the formation of a U.S. investment fund.
- Advised a private advisory firm in the formation of a pledge fund and its subsequent investments in numerous start-up ventures through SAFEs (a Simple Agreement for Future Equity), convertible debt and Series A round investments.
- Advised a real estate management company in connection with its formation of a real estate investment trust (REIT) and its private placement of up to $85,000,000 of shares.
- Advised a London-based investment adviser in the formation of a U.S. investment fund.
- Represented a hedge fund manager in the reorganization of its hedge funds and, in connection with the reorganization, advised the manager on SEC, CBOE and other regulatory issues.
- Advised several hedge fund managers on issues arising in connection with audits by the SEC.
- Advised a Denmark-based investment adviser in the formation of a U.S. investment fund.
- Represented a hedge fund manager in a joint venture that was formed to execute a proprietary trading strategy, and advised the joint venture in connection with its private offering of interests in the proprietary trading fund.
- University of Dayton School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1998)
- Liberty University (B.S., magna cum laude, 1995)
- Illinois State Bar (2000)
- Ohio State Bar (1998)
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association