Joel G. Shapiro
Joel G. Shapiro is a partner in the firm’s Corporate, Finance and Tax Practice Groups. Joel represents clients in a variety of businesses and industries in tax, corporate and securities matters. In particular, he regularly advises clients on the federal income tax aspects of complex business transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, partnerships and start-up ventures.
Joel also has considerable experience with real estate investment trusts (REITs), having represented issuers, underwriters and investors on several public and private offerings. He also frequently represents clients (both entrepreneurs and investors) in the restaurant business.
Joel is an active member of the Chicago Bar Association and has served as Chair of the Partnership and Passthrough Entities Subcommittee, as well as the Executive Committee of the Federal Taxation Committee. He is also a member of the Tax Section of the American Bar Association. In addition, Joel served on the editorial board of the Journal of Partnership Taxation and has been a frequent contributor to such publications over the years.
Joel is a graduate of Miami University of Ohio (B.S., 1982) and the University of Illinois College of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 1985). He was admitted to the Illinois State Bar in 1985. He is also a registered Certified Public Accountant in Illinois.
- University of Illinois College of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 1985)
- Miami University of Ohio (B.S., 1982)
- Illinois State Bar (1985)
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Former chairman of the CBA committee on pass through taxation
- Former President of the Law Alumni Board of the University of Illinois College of Law
- Formerly on advisory board of the Journal of Partnership Taxation
- Authored several articles (IICLE on Closely Held Corporations)